Sorting by Object and Color and Sequencing, oh my!


True confession: I frequent the local Dollar Tree at least once a week, sometimes twice.  If you can't find me there, then check the Target Dollar bins;). I'm always on the lookout for mini object erasers and small figures for classification drills to add to my collection.  Luckily, my son was willing to part with the erasers that he got in birthday party favor bags a couple years ago.  His generous donation helped me begin my now expanding collection!  To date, I have assorted colored bears and bugs, mini sweets and treats, dinosaurs, vehicles, and three sets of colored apples.



Several months ago, I set out on a mission for a container and clear, miniature buckets for sorting objects by color.  I immediately fell in love with this two bin stacking case from Target.  It was a little pricey, but I liked how it can hold two levels of play and also store some sequencing cards to accompany the objects.



The Dollar Tree had the perfect, miniature container and even better, they came in stacks of three!  These bins have my colored bears and recently acquired assorted colored bugs, which are from a thrift shop find!


The colored bugs were part of a Discovery Kids game that included sequencing cards.  I quickly learned that the cards were flying all over the place during my session with a busy client, so I holed punched and ring clipped them together.


When the activity is complete, I can simply close the lid and store it for the next client.  I'm hoping to save some materials set up time by having several activities always ready to go in my handy, dandy case.  I hope that this post inspires you to put together your own sorting kit!